Laphroaig

Laphroaig distillery

Established in 1815, Laphroaig shared its 200th anniversary with Ardbeg in 2015. The distillery produces 3,200,000 litres each year. It has four wash stills and three spirit stills. It makes 15% of its own malted barley, the remaining 85% coming from Port Ellen maltings. Although the specifications are the same, the malted barley produced on site may be less consistent and so barley from the two sources are mixed for each mash. The distillery uses one ton of peat for each seven tons of grain.

The distillery can be found on the south coast of Islay and is the nearest to Port Ellen. The visitor centre is impressive and includes a whisky museum and a new lounge. There is no cafe but free vending drinks are available. The Friends of Laphroaig scheme encourages you to sign up whence you will be allocated a square foot plot of land that you can visit. Laphroaig will pay you rental each year of a Laphroaig 10 miniature.

There is inside and outside seating and the views out across the sea are excellent.

Laphroaig tasting token

The tour guide was Claire and she gave a very professional tour. The tastings have a new format: you are given three tokens that can be exchanged for whiskies rated at one, two or three tokens. So you can choose 1+1+1, 1+2 or 3. If you are with others, you could combine your tokens to try a wider variety, for example, 2+2+2. You can choose from:

Laphroaig ExpressionABVTokens required
Select40%1
10 Year Old40%1
Quarter Cask48%1
Four Oak40%2
Lore48%2
10 Years Cask Strength Batch 01058%2
Cairdeas 15 Years43%3
Cairdeas Fino51.8%3